The house into which I just moved smells
like elderly women and cats and dust.
II.
I have traveled a great distance from home
to take classes with adults
who just recently learned
that pickles are cucumbers first.
In the words of my grandmother, some people’s children.
III.
During a recent bout of homesickness
I made myself a peanut butter and banana sandwich,
not because I ate them growing up,
but because my mother once told me she ate them growing up.
IV.
I am probably allergic to elderly women.
Or elderly cats.
Or dusty women.
V.
Once when my mother was a teenager
she sunburned so badly while roughing
a field that her mother told her to soak
in the canal without any clothes and to
bathe in vinegar and salts. My aunt,
who was twelve, approached the canal
pretending to bring my mother a towel.
She placed the towel a small distance
from the canal so that my mother would
have to leave the water and walk, naked.
When Mother was between the canal and
the towel, her sister unveiled a camera
and photographed her pink nudity.
VI.
My grandmother used to slice cucumbers
and tomatoes and serve them salted and soaked
in vinegar to accent her dense meat loaf.
At her house on the farm, I would play
among the dusty cornrows with her cats
until she called me in.
VII.
As I leave the house
for the backyard, I unlock the door behind me.
For sun-browned skin, I am wearing nothing
but boxers and sandals.
My landlord never mentioned the door locks on its own.
VIII.
After eating my sandwich
I remember that it wasn’t peanut butter with bananas—
it was peanut butter with pickles.
No comments:
Post a Comment